A very dedicated group of people helps with planning, organizing and managing the conference. If you’re interested in volunteering with FOBA, you can help from wherever you live.
We are very proud that we’ve been able to put on the Focus on Book Arts Conference every two years with an all-volunteer staff.
Every bit of your help makes a difference.
With the exception of at-conference volunteer needs, you do not need to be in the Portland, Oregon area to help. Many of our board and committee members are scattered around the United States.
HELPING AT THE FOCUS ON BOOK ARTS CONFERENCE
Volunteers are always needed to help with setting up the conference before it starts and taking it down when it is over. Some of these set-up and take-down activities are physical.
In addition to setting up and taking down the conference, here are some of the other volunteer opportunities during the FOBA Conference:
- Supporting the raffle and other activities occurring in our main information area.
- Directing attendees to the check-in area.
- During the conference “class helpers” are needed to pass out workshop and conference evaluations, and then pick them up and return them to the information desk area.
- Helping with various events and activities taking place during the conference. This may be directing people to the event, helping people to make a small project and other support at an activity or event.
PLANNING AND PREPARING FOR THE CONFERENCE
Focus on Book Arts Conference planning and organizing continues during our off-conference years. Each FOBA board member has specific responsibilities related to the conference. Many of these board members rely on teams to help with the organizing of the conference. For instance, the Events and Activities lead has a volunteer(s) for each of the different events (i.e., trade show, faculty exhibit, speakers, etc.) and activities (i.e., raffle, challenge book, etc.). You may want to consider helping with a specific part of the conference and joining a team.
The activities that help with the planning and preparation for the conference include:
- Helping with specific tasks for a committee. This may include letter writing, working with computers, compiling information, making and assembling kits, working with images, doing social media updates, etc.
- Organizing a single aspect of the conference. This may include organizing the raffle, artists’ fair, or other event or activity that happens at the conference.
If you are interested in volunteering with FOBA in any of these capacities, please contact the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
FOBA is an all-volunteer organization; as such the leadership of FOBA volunteer their time and skills to organize and put on the conference. We are always looking for board members who can provide guidance and expertise in all aspects of organizing and managing a conference.
As we begin planning for the 2022 conference, we have some great opportunities. Your help will make our FOBA 2022 conference our best ever! We welcome board members from across the United States and Canada; our current board members live in Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho and Colorado. Most of the planning and organizing can happen anywhere, and we stay connected via Zoom.
We currently have 3 positions on the board: Registration, Volunteer Coordinator, and Outreach.
- Registration is a key role for the FOBA conference that manages all aspects of conference attendance. The registrar handles all the elements of signing up for the conference including workshops, housing, and meals. The registrar manages a team that will communicate with attendees regarding their registration status, prepares the packets for attendees and check-in staff, monitor and report to the board on the status of registration (including workshop signups and monies from registration), handle refunds, and summarize and support analysis of conference registration. This requires a fair amount of spreadsheet work, configuration and setup of the registration software being used for the conference.
- Volunteer Coordinator is responsible for finding and managing the volunteers to work during the conference to help set it up, staff the information area, help with events and activities, and take down after the conference. Additionally, this person will be responsible for the Fellowship program, keeping track of people interested in volunteering, and contacting potential volunteers.
- Outreach is a new team leader role that will ensure FOBA remains a fiscally stable organization. We envision this role might encompass many methods and ways of fundraising, including: finding sponsors for FOBA events and activities, defining and organizing fundraising events and activities, requesting grants, soliciting donations, and managing FOBA products.
If you would like to work with FOBA in a leadership capacity, please contact the Conference Coordinator at email@example.com