What Dreams Are Made Of
The content, source, and function of dreams have been the topic of scientific and philosophical inquiry throughout recorded history. The dictionary tells us that dreams can be visions or a state of mind marked by release from reality, cherished aspirations or ideals, creations of the imagination, or a series of thoughts, images or emotions. What is a book but a series of thoughts, images or emotions put down on a substrate like paper or fabric?
For this challenge, we invite you to explore the topic of your dreams in a book form. Some suggestions to get your imagination dreaming:
- a chronicle or interpretation of your nighttime dreaming (how often do you dream of electric sheep?)
- dreams of personal attainment (where do you want to travel next?)
- dreams for your community or the world (can we achieve peace?)
- daydreams of fantasy (do you dream of invisibility or flight?)
- a series of dreamlike images (how does a leaf become a light switch? how does a hug lead to spaceflight?).
These are only some ideas; you may interpret the theme however you wish (subject to the conditions).
Conditions & Challenges
- Shall include a series of thoughts, images or emotions representing your dream(s).
- Shall have been completed within the 24 months preceding summer 2023.
- Shall include one element you consider sweet: a word, a texture, an image. This may be incorporated into the title or contents and shall be identified.
- Entry fee is $5 for each submission.
- You can enter up to 3 works, they will need to be submitted separately. Submission for this exhibition is by filling out the form.
- Each book submission must include 2-4 images.
- Please send gallery quality images without background clutter or text. DO NOT send composite images or images with embedded text. If your work is accepted for exhibition, the images you submit, along with the text you provide will be used for digital publicity.
Online Gallery & Viewers Choice Award
On October 15th, all the books will be displayed in an online gallery.
From October 15th until October 30th, you have the power to decide which book deserves the top honor. This is your chance to acknowledge the book that captivates you the most and vote for it as your favorite. The book with the most votes will be awarded our prestigious Viewers’ Choice Award, with the winner being announced in November. In addition, the winning book will be featured in the FOBA Newsletter.
Submissions close date: October 1, 2023
Online Gallery: October 15 2023 through Jan 5 2024
Viewer’s Choice Award voting: Oct 15 – Oct 30, 2023
Announcement of Viewers’ Choice Award: November 2023