The fellowship was created in honor of Colleen Cavin. Colleen was a fine book artist and scribe, a Fellow of the Society of Scribes & Illuminators, a teacher for over thirty years, and a long time part of the Conference planning team. She was a talented yet modest artist, giving generously her wisdom, humor and kindness.
Each conference we are looking for Colleen Cavin Fellowship candidates to work and learn at the conference. Our successful candidate(s) will be immersed in the wonderful community of artists that come together for our conference, be exposed to some of the national names in Book Arts and provided with an opportunity for high level instruction. In addition, some the mysteries of how a conference is put on and the work involved in making it successful will be revealed with hands-on clarity.
2019 Colleen Cavin Fellowship recipients
The work will consist of assisting our Day Manager in activities such as the following:
- Assist the Workshop Coordinator with classroom set-up and delivery of instructor materials.
- Walk the campus to visit classes in progress and take photos.
- Deliver equipment or materials to various locations on campus.
- Welcome and direct conference attendees in the registration area.
- Greet, host and coordinate set-up and clean-up of evening activities (with others).
- Assist with set up and maintenance of the Work/Study fundraising activities.
- Give short breaks to our staff and Trade Show vendors.
In addition, in the spirit of giving to the future:
- Donate a handmade item to the Fellowship fundraising raffle.
The person(s) chosen will work for three full days at the conference in exchange for two days of classes and five nights of lodging and meals on campus at no charge. Class materials and fees are the responsibility of the recipient.
The applicant should be available to work the day before the conference begins. The other days will be during the conference, which in 2022 ends on Tuesday.
Applications will be available in late 2021 or early 2022, and decisions will be sent out prior to the opening of registration for the 2022 conference. If you have questions, please contact: Volunteer Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org